Have you heard of the Love Resists Campaign? The Love Resists Campaign is activating people of faith and conscience to resist the criminalization of our neighbors and communities, and create a safer, more just, welcoming, and sustainable world. The campaign offers a prophetic approach to responding to this political moment in the United States, helping to build the wider movement of resistance. That approach includes powerful principles to ground your justice work which, together, help us live up to who our values and principles call us to be – expand sanctuary, grow solidarity, raising your voice.
We recommend you visit the Love Resists website for ideas, resources and examples for how you and your congregation can participate in the campaign.
Sections of the website include:
- An About Us section that describes the principles of the campaign, its values and the sponsoring and supporting organization. This campaign was created by the UUA, the UU Service Committee, the UU College of Social Justice and Standing on the Side of Love.
- Sign your name to the Declaration of Conscience to commit to putting Unitarian Universalist values into action to resist hate, fear and bigotry. Get regular email updates, opportunities and stories from this joint initiative of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) and the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee (UUSC).
- A section on Expanding Sanctuary. As people of conscience, we declare our commitment to translate our values into action as we stand on the side of love with the most vulnerable among us. Find how you can act in solidarity by promoting sanctuary, safe spaces for people under threat. Includes examples for policies, lists of sanctuary communities you can connect with, and resources to help you learn more about this action.
- Recommendations for Expanding Solidarity. People of faith and conscience know now is the time grow relationships of solidarity between those who are being targeted because of their identities and those who identify as their allies. This solidarity is most effective when we listen to and make central the leadership, insights, and experiences of people who are most threatened by a history of injustice and the current political climate.
- Spiritual Centering resources for those working towards justice. As the long arc of the universe bends towards justice, it is our spiritual and moral center that keeps us grounded. In this section, you will find wellsprings of hope, inspirational words and stories, and prayers and meditations to carry with you on the journey.
- Tips for Leading Congregations as they navigate these decisions and this work. Religious communities and congregations are rising up to take action all over the country. People of faith and conscience know that we cannot remain silent when our values are threatened, and that we must work together to push back. Here are key resources for people who are in a professional or lay leadership role in congregations, to help them mobilize their community through the Love Resists Campaign to raise their voice, grow solidarity and expand sanctuary.
- Find Love Resists Updates for current actions and calls for what are current issues that need immediate attention due to the issues being taken up by Congress and the President. The current action involves the possible cancellation of DACA.
How can we as Unitarian Universalists adequately respond to the challenges to our communities? We say #LoveResists.
Share on Facebook