The Unitarian Church in Summit strives to be a radically inclusive religious community that feeds the human spirit and heals the world. The Unitarian Church in Summit seeks a full time Director of Religious Education for a thriving preK-8th grade program that is proud of its approximately 180 children and a team of dedicated volunteers who view RE as their ministry.
Position Starts July 1, 2015.
Our volunteers energetically nurture an active program for all ages. UCS is a growing, vibrant congregation with a focus on multigenerational religious education and fellowship.
Job Title: Director of Religious Education
Reports to: Minister
The DRE provides leadership, inspiration and practical assistance to coordinate, administer and implement religious education ministry in the congregation. The DRE works collaboratively with our Ministers, other staff and religious education volunteer leaders to develop, plan and implement religious education programming,
including shaping multigenerational worship. The position encompasses religious education ministry for all grades Pre-K-8th grade in our faith community.
The DRE works with ministers and staff to implement the mission of UCS: to be a radically inclusive religious community that feeds the human spirit and heals the world
This is a full time position.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Is present on Sundays to support RE classes, teachers, children and parents and to welcome new or visiting families. Is available to fill in, as needed, as a teacher and to support teachers with classroom management issues. Will have one Sunday monthly free of responsibilities.
- Researches and oversees selection of RE curriculum for children and trains teachers and helpers in presenting chosen curriculum.
- Recruits, trains and supports volunteer teachers and helpers. Organizes and implements training and orientation sessions for RE volunteers, as needed.
- Communicates in a timely manner with supervisor, staff, RE teachers, helpers, parents and congregation regarding RE programming. Is available for individual appointments upon request.
- Serves in a collaborative, shared ministry with adult RE lay leaders.
- Develops RE annual budget in consultation with supervisor and RE leaders. Provides oversight of the RE budget throughout the year.
- Develops implements and maintains attendance records for use in all RE classes for children and.
- Plans, organizes and oversees all RE registration procedures and policies.
- Prepares the RE program report for the congregational annual report.
- A graduate degree in education or related field
- Has a comprehensive understanding of UUA RE curriculum for all ages and the importance of religious education in congregational life. Is familiar with UUA Safe Congregation policy.
- Is (or willing to become) a credentialed UUA Religious Educator
- Experience serving in religious education in a UU congregation and/or equivalent.
- Has UUA and LREDA continuing education coursework pertaining to religious education.
- Is (or willing to become) an active LREDA member.
- Has education and experience in working with multi-faith and multi cultural families
Staff and Congregational Responsibilities
- Supervises paid RE Assistant Nursery Care Givers and RE Assistant
- Attends weekly staff meetings, staff retreats, staff fellowship times as well as board meetings and retreats as required
- Meets and collaborates with supervisor and other staff members in planning for Rites of Passage, worship services and other activities.
- Meets weekly with supervisor.
- Works with ministers and other staff in shaping multi-generational worship and programming and in furthering the mission of UCS
Salary and Benefits
- Depends upon experience and qualifications in accordance with UUA guidelines.
The Unitarian Church in Summit does not discriminate based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, genetic pre-disposition, ancestry or national origin.
The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Binghamton is seeking an enthusiastic Membership Coordinator. This person is responsible for managing, tracking and working with members and visitors to achieve the congregation’s membership growth and retention objectives. The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, a welcoming and friendly demeanor, and strong organizational skills including knowledge of computers.
- 10 hours a week, including 3 Sundays a month
- $12 an hour
The UUA is currently hiring for the following positions:
- Leadership Associate for Youth and Young Adults of Color
- Worship Web Curator
- Senior Associate for Service-Learning Programs (College of Social Justice, UUSC, Cambridge, MA)
- Human Resources and Benefits Manager (Boston, MA)
- Office Administrator (Boston, MA)
- Production Specialist (Boston, MA)
You can get details on these from the UUA at www.uua.org/careers/openings/index.shtml
Each district has a listing of job openings in their district on their website.
To find job listings for religious educators on the LREDA site, visit here: http://www.lreda.org/content/employment-opportunities