Leadership School of the
Central East Regional Group
Of the UUA
What is UULTI?
UULTI (Unitarian Universalist Leadership Training Institute) has been providing a holistic and experiential learning environment for congregational leaders since 2007.
When is the next UULTI?
UULTI by the Lake:
Wednesday, July 31 to Sunday, August 4, 2013
Notre Dame Retreat Center, Canandaigua, NY
Dean: Rev. Renee Ruchotzke
UULTI on Hudson
Wednesday, August 14 to Sunday, August 18, 2013
Stony Point Center, Stony Point, NY
Dean: Patricia Infante
How is UULTI different than a one-day workshop?
UULTI is an immersion program that is focused more on leader formation than acquiring a specific skill or technique. Participants explore Unitarian Universalism on spiritual, intellectual, personal and practical levels in order to build and strengthen themselves as leaders, their congregations and their communities. Past participants describe the experience as "transformational." Prior to attending you may well bee asked to do some reading or other work before and/or after the Institute.
Why am I encouraged to go as part of a congregational team?
Having a shared experience enables leaders to avoid isolation. A team of leaders with a common understanding and vision will be better able to help their congregation to flourish. (Note: If there are only one or two leaders attending from your respective congregation or community, we will create a viable team for you to meet and work with throughout the week.)
Have you been to a UU leadership school before?
We offer a variety of different tracks and lenses with different leaders so each UULTI session and experience is truly unique.
What is the format?
We have created a unique formula that balances content and the creativity that comes from the interplay of ideas and experiences.
- This year each participant will be able to select a variey of workshops topics (TRACKS)
- We then weave in specific leadership elements and perspectives (LENSES).
- See a sample schedule grid here.
- UULTI is a learning community. This year we will offer the opportunity for participants to use what they have learned by working with case studies. We also offer various opportunities for reflection in covenant groups and congregational teams as well as during meals, in worship and vespers and during social time.
- Each congregational team is asked to bring a challenge that their congregation is working on. The team works with a coach to exchange ideas and insight with others.
How much time do I need to take off work?
We understand that many of our leaders are unable to take a full week of vacation time for leadership school, so we have created a 4-1/2 day school over a weekend.
This sounds intense!
It is intense, but in a positive way. We strive to have a balance of "workshop time" and "down time" within a time frame that makes it possible for leaders to experience firsthand, intentional leadership formation.